Building a Foam Core Powerboat

This site will report on the building of the 'Hawk41', a 41ft sea-going launch. It's specifications are: - Length: 12.50 m - Length waterline: 12.07 m - Beam: 3.27 m - Draft: 0.75 m - Displacement: 4.3 t - Engine Power: 184 kW.
The vessel will be constructed from a foam core sandwich using the 'controlled vacuum infusion' technique.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands

Monday, November 21, 2005

I witnessed an Infusion!

Yesterday I had the honour to be the guest of Henny van Oortmarssen, who is building a 39Ft. trimaran in his garage. What an astonishing experience!! Henny also maintains an incredible site on the subject!
The Fram is made from a foam core of 'CoreCell' and epoxy, using the 'vacuum infusion' technique. I witnessed the infusion of the outer layer of a float, which was done in a single shot. He uses a surpisingly little vacuum pump, that formerly operated in some laboratory.
Yes, I am completely convinced now that for me this is the way to go: the process is absolutely clean and delivers the theoretical quality limit. Hand lay-up cannot ever reach this!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home